I’ve posted about how the knot in the rope makes it tend to shift off the pulley. I fixed this by cutting the rope exactly to the length it needed to be and then I singed the ends under a flame in order to prevent them from unwinding (the rope is nylon – I’m not sure this would work for a cotton rope). I then used regular sewing thread to stitch the two ends of the rope together. The job doesn’t look neat, but it works well. Treadling is much more fun now the rope stays in place!
The weakness of the treadle at its right hand side was partially improved by the addition of a second diagonal support. Although the very right part of the treadle is still weak under the foot, it is better than it was and the centre part of the treadle is now very usable.