I picked up some auger bits from a flea market seller. The cost was $9 but I only had a 10 and he had no change. So I asked for this chisel-like tool to call it a deal. I had no idea what it was for and assumed it was some sort of specialised chisel. I emailed Shannon Rogers to ask about it and he suggested it might be a bedan. This occured way before the lathe build, so I didn’t even know what a bedan was.
Now I have a lathe I am excited about it! The tool is ground incorrectly as far as I can tell. The grind is not square and so the end is diamond shaped. I used the grinding wheel to square-up the end and make the bevel 45 degrees. The first picture below shows the original grind and the sharpie marks of where I would grind down to. The grinding took almost an hour given I have a ‘fine’ stone (150 grit) – I’m glad I won’t be making a habit of regrinding tools! – but the results are good. I finished the sharpening on my water stones and the bedan seems to work well on the lathe.